I just found out there’s a new Moscow Mule themed bar near my house. So, the rest of my summer is booked.
So, the coworker I back up was out all last week when he had a TON of his work going on that I had to handle for him. (It was a condition of his rehire…he already had that week’s vacation planned) It was basically a nightmare for me and I got almost NONE of my own work done. I was going to make sure he was aware of how inconvenienced I was, but I just got word that another coworker of mine is currently laying into him for leaving such a mess for me to handle.
This is going to be awkward when I get to work.
So, jjday10 tagged me in a 5 Random Facts post the other day, soooooo….here we go!
1. I don’t like hot beverages. When I’m thirsty, I want something cold and refreshing. Hot is not refreshing. It’s hot. I don’t like it. Yes, this includes coffee, hot chocolate (which, I also don’t love chocolate which is a whole OTHER topic, so that one is like a double whammy), etc. And YES, I do eat soup. But, I EAT it. I don’t drink it. Don’t get me started on those Soup At Hand commercials. I don’t like it.
2. I have a Hallmark card. A million years ago (or, like, 5) I randomly came across this contest where you sent in a picture with a caption and I had this ridiculous picture of my friend Mike getting stuck in a rollaway bed at a hotel in NYC that just cracked me up and I sent it in. He didn’t even think it was a funny picture, but my favorite part is the random banana on the dresser. (Sorry for the random banana, jjday10!) It was a finalist and it sold online and in stores. They are actually still for sale online if you are in the need for a Bday card with my friend Mike on the cover.
3. I’ve lived within about 45 minutes of Des Moines my entire life. Really the only time not in the Des Moines area was 4.5 of college at Iowa State. On the one hand, I many times wished I had moved away for at least a bit. On the other hand, I’ve come to really appreciate it here. It’s a decent sized city without being huge and annoying. I love my house and there is NO WAY I could afford something similar in a different city. And it’s just generally a pretty nice place to live. 3 things I would change:
- Winter would be much shorter and warmer.
- You would be able to find a reasonable priced flight out of Des Moines.
- All my friends who live out of state across the country would have to move here.
4. I’ve never seen Top Gun. My friend Jodi even bought me a VCR with a VHS copy of Top Gun for my birthday last year and I still haven’t watched it.
5. I have a really weird relationship with a radio station here. It started a few years back when the female morning co-host was on maternity leave and they were auditioning listeners to come in on a Wednesday morning to fill in. My friend made me audition and they picked me to come in for the entire show one wednesday morning. So, sometimes they let me talk about things on the radio. Most recently they called to talk to me about my Olympic obsession.
Sometimes after I do a good deed, I tell myself I’m done and I can be an asshole for the rest of the day.
This is gonna be the big winner. I can tell.
On the eve of Day One of this years RAGBRAI, the small town of Rock Valley in the northwest corner of the Hawkeye State, welcomed some 10-thousand cyclists to their community. There was a huge street festival… And this aerial sculpture of bikes, forming a steel & spoke garland across a downtown street.
If you like bikes and if you like riding 431 miles in a week, you should be in Iowa this week…